As some of you may have noticed, the servers with a population greater than 128 are experiencing periodic lag spikes. In addition there are some small client-side hiccups or spikes when entering new areas with lots of player made structures and deployables. We are hard at work looking into these issues and hope to provide some form resolution in the coming days. We will post more information on this front as soon as we can!
UPDATE: We’ve applied a small fix to the UK and US Central servers and will keep an eye on performance over the next little while
Valve are cool guys. They let us bring Rust to Steam. They don’t try to tell us what we can and can’t do in the game. They let us push unapproved updates out whenever we want, as many as we want. They saved PC gaming.
So it’s probably not totally unreasonable for them to ask that we don’t flood the rest of Steam with pictures of cavemen genitalia. I made a small change today. The censoring is on by default. This is purely to stem the huge wave of naked people being posted to Steam.
You can turn the censorship off in the console, but any screenshots you post publically to the Steam Hub will be deleted. Over the next few days I’m probably going to make it so that whether you have censoring on or off the screenshots posted to Steam will always be censored.
We’ve managed to roll out a few more official servers and they are being stress tested with your help.
A few issues have popped up relating to the net code that we are looking into and hope to fix immediately, From time to time you may experience what the community is calling ‘ghosting’ where you are unable to loot items and everyone else sees your player in one spot. For now you can just disconnect and reconnect to fix it until we solve the problem.
A little note :
Facepunch Official #1 (Dev) is now called Germany 1
Facepunch Official #2 is now called Germany 2
Thanks for playing! We will keep everyone informed as we make progress on these issues.
We’re in the process of setting up some additional Official servers, stay tuned!
I pushed a small update out this morning that fixes the player counts in the server list. Servers will need to be restarted before you’ll be able to join them.
Hey guys, Welcome to Early Access!
I just wanted to let everyone know that we are experiencing some issues with the server browser showing some servers with incorrect player counts ( even 0 ). If you’re trying to join a server and it kicks you back to the main menu, this is likely because the server is actually full.
You can verify this by pressing F1 to open the console and see what the last message was. If this happens, try and join another server instead.
We’re currently working on getting it to display the correct values and we will keep you posted with any new information as soon as possible.
Thanks for playing!
We’re on Steam now! Click here to find it on the Steam store!
We are obviously EARLY ACCESS. So please don’t buy the game unless you’re prepared for it. The game is going to be in development and buggy for a while. We’ll tell you when it’s not. You can read more about our Early Access alpha here.
Hey guys, Check out what we fixed today :
- Added Official Server Tab – This will list the most reliable servers sanctioned by us
- Fixed people being able to place boxes that peek through walls and shelters so they were lootable from outside
- Spike walls now only prevent foundations from being built, vs all structure components
- Auto-Healing from being near a camp fire will take effect 10 seconds after the last time you took damage
- Sleeping bags under foundations fixed
- Added cooldown timer for hostile wildlife; they will give up and stop chasing you forever
- Fixed players not showing blood effect when hit
- Added grass displacement to Spike Walls, Sleepers, and other things missing it
- Fixed being able to go under water (It kills you once again upon contact)
- Chat mode will now swallow keys (typing in chat will no longer activate items or move your character)
- Fixed spike walls not dealing reflect damage at certain angles
Hello everyone! It’s been a while but we have a patch ready for your enjoyment.
Here are some changes and improvements we’ve made to the game over the past little while
- You now get a repair notice when repairing an object
- Fixed Ramps not being able to be placed leading up to foundations
- Shelters can now be placed on rocks and have a more lenient max slope
- Fixed exploit allowing quicker reload times
- Lowered memory usage by about 300 megs !
- Game should load quite a bit faster now
- Linux cursor issue should be resolved
- People who log off near walls shouldn’t have their legs poking outside anymore
- Added new surface system, this allows for dynamic footsteps and improved impact effects
- Fixed bug where players would not make footsteps under some conditions ( e.g. walking in tight circles)
- Adjusted LOD levels to be further away from the camera
- Added nudity convar : censor.nudity true
- Duping should be fixed…
- A few crash fixes
- Fixed lasers/flashlights not being turned off for other clients
- You can no longer place sleeping bags under rocks
- Fixed an extremely rare bug where terrain would be invisible under certain conditions
- Grass isn’t as tall anymore; it should perform better
- Moved wildlife over to use the navmesh, they will actually be able to find you now :)
- Added some new deployables – Spiked walls for base defense, they will hurt people when they are melee’d or touched
- Foundations cannot be placed too close to spiked walls ( prevents base climbing with stairs unless they put some extra effort in and destroy them )
- Added a Wood Gate/Gateway – This can be used to block off parts of the map and create compounds! (Art is very WIP!)
- Added a very rare, non-craftable smoke signal which will call an airdrop in at your location
We’re (hopefully) almost out of this maintenance phase and will soon be able to focus on adding more content to the game!
There have been a lot of questions about the release date on Steam. As of right now we are planning to release on
(11th of December 2013)
We need to make it very clear that this is Early Access. This doesn’t mean that it’s just a bit rough. It means the game isn’t finished. There’s still lots of work to be done. Sometimes it might not even work at all.
If you choose to buy an early access game you are subscribing to the development process – warts and all. So please please please don’t buy it expecting to play a finished bug free game. You will be disappointed.