I have updated the server browser to only display a subset of servers, in a paged manner. This should solve the lag we were having when it was listing 2,000 servers. Let us know in the comments if I totally broke something while doing this. I changed the chat text colour too.. but I didn’t have time to do anything else today, sorry guys :(
As mentioned in the previous post, Helk and Pat are working with MuchDifferent to try to reduce the impact the DDOS attacks can have on Rust. We could not be happier with the dedication they’re showing us right now (doubly so considering it’s the weekend, and the holidays)
The attacks are still happening on and off. We’re doing everything we can to stop them from happening – and will hopefully have a longer term solution in place in the next few days. We once again apologise for them. Lets get through this together :)
We’ve added some countermeasures, server admins should update their servers and let us know how it’s running. Will have more information tomorrow
Just a quick bit of information, We are working directly with the uLink staff in an attempt to solve this issue. More information as soon as it’s available
Most servers seem to be running along okay right now. I guess the attackers had to go to sleep at some point. But the exploits remain so we can’t just forget about it at this point. We can’t have the fate of your Rust hanging on the whim of script kiddies.
We’re in touch with MuchDifferent – and despite it being the weekend and everyone being on holiday, they’re making a real effort to help us out. So hopefully the dedicated server will get a bit more bulletproof over the next few days and we can all get back to hitting each other with rocks.
Sarah has given me permission to work tomorrow (on a Sunday!), so I will be fixing as much stuff as I can. The server list is a bit of a priority at the moment, it was never really tested with the amount of servers we currently have – so the performance is terrible. I’ll be reconfiguring that to work better. Anything else you want fixing let us know in the comments and I will try to cover as much as possible.
I am hearing a lot that you want us to do something about cheats, the aimbots and wallhacks that have cropped up recently. We probably haven’t made it clear enough what our strategy is, or how it works. VAC is active. VAC doesn’t ban people straight away. It doesn’t try to stop people cheating. It logs them. The bans are validated. Then they are all banned in a wave. This could take a week, it could take a month, it could take 3 months. But rest assured that hackers will be VAC banned – so please do not be tempted to cheat.
So after some investigating it appears that the servers are receiving DDOS attacks. Not the usual, send loads of traffic at a server until it chokes and can’t take any more ddos attack. It kind of seems like someone is periodically grabbing the server list and attacking any occupied server with a bunch of empty packets.
We use a networking library called uLink. It works well for us. We can get 300 people on a single server. We’re happy. But it is not without its issues. I get the feeling that it’s not that widely used – so there’s a lot of relatively simple exploits that haven’t been found. We’ve reported issues. A lot. But always seem to receive the same responses. Basically – it’s going to be fixed in the future, in an update that is planned for the next month, that never really gets released.
I’ve optimistically reported the latest issues to them, but we’re not that hopeful that we’ll get a timely fix. We’d love to take matters into our own hands but we can’t look into the issues and fix them ourselves because all their code is obfuscated.
So we’re stuck. We have to either convince them to fix the exploits for us, use a different networking library.. or write our own. This is something we have to have a long discussion about internally.
In the meantime we have to apologise for the ddos attacks. We know it’s not totally our fault – but at the same time it is. If you have exploits then people are going to exploit them. That’s just how the world works. We hope they get bored soon and everyone can get back to playing and we can get back to making. Until that happens we all have to suffer through this crap – which unfortunately we can do nothing but apologise for.
Hi guys, we’re working on some of the connectivity issues being reported, will post more information possible.
Also we’re looking into some of the server browser issues (it can be quite slow due to the large number of servers) and will attempt to fix this as soon as we can.
As some of you may know a major ice storm hit my city and knocked out power and internet. Unfortunately I was unable to work due to this. After finally coming back into contact with the online world I have managed to restart the North American servers, I apologize for their downtime. We will also attempt to release a patch in the coming days addressing the bolt action rifle spawn rates and some other issues. I’ll post some more information when I get some more time.
That’s all for now, sorry again for the downtime and happy holidays!
Some users running windows 8.1 have had trouble entering the game. Some other users have found a fix that works for them : Right click on rust, go to properties, click ‘set launch options’ and enter : -force-d3d11
Some Mac users have reported being stuck on ‘loading’ after trying to join a game, Some other users have reported that setting the quality to lowest before joining will solve this issue. We are looking into this and will attempt to provide a fix as soon as possible.
We’ve identified the desync problem some users have reported and are working to fix it.
We’re going to be adding some internal elements that will make the quality slider have more of an impact on framerate by disabling post processing effects and draw distance. We’ll also be spending some time looking into some of the client-side stuttering on high population servers.
We’ve launched some more north american servers and are going to look into migrating the UK servers from their current host.
That’s all for now, We will provide another update as soon as we can.
Hello everyone, After a long outage related to the steam master servers, the issue has been solved and the official servers are up and running.
Here is a change log :
- Doors will no longer fly away
- You can’t stand inside doors and shoot out any longer
- Fixed Metal Doors not setting their rotation properly
- Shelters can be placed closer together than they used to be able to
- Resource nodes respawning should no longer cause server-wide lag
- Deployables placed on inside (new) shelters should no longer destroy when the shelter is destroyed
- Added some missing death effects for shelters and doors
- Should be easier to squeeze sleeping bags into shelters now
- Spike walls can be placed closer together, you can overlap them a little bit now to seal gaps easier
- You can now right click to rotate structures for the one guy without a mousewheel :D
- Servers can now specify a minimum amount of players for airdrops to occur – airdrop.min_players ( default 50 )
- Fixed shotguns not damaging deployables
- Fixed some serverside performance issues
- Fixed explosive charges not dealing direct damage to structure components – They will now deal their damage regardless of their position relative to what they are placed directly on
- Fixed explosions doing too much damage to things with compound colliders (shelters namely)
- Fixed weapon animations while aiming for some weapons (Shotgun)
- Fixed exploit allowing you to place deployables in mid-air
- Fixed being able to put wood boxes inside people/yourself
- You can place stuff on the road now
- Kevlar is harder to produce
- Made ammo much harder to craft
- Research kits are now one time use
- Increased headshot damage multiplier
- Added Bolt Action Rifle
- Weapons now play a dry fire sound when you try and fire them empty
- Added aim sway to some weapons, experimental
- Added a small ‘lazy aim’ cone for weapons
- Shotgun and bolt action rifle no longer stay aimed while actioning the weapon
- Small Stash is a default blueprint, and is easier to craft
- Spike wall returns more damage
- Spike wall has more melee armor
- New death screen (WIP)
Known Issues :
- Lasersight and Flashlight go off to the left on the Bolt Action Rifle unless a silencer is also added
- Death messages are weird and can tell you a bear killed you with a shotgun or something random like that
- Dry fire sound plays on last shot of pistol
- Nudity and Censoring will display as pants, it’s being worked on.
P.S. we had to wipe the servers, sorry fellas but that’s the way this works :(
Community servers may or may not be wiped but it’s recommended due to the research changes would make it impossible for new players to get started
It seems like steam is periodically rejecting some users and failing to authenticate them.
We’ve reset the official servers and this seems to have fixed the issue for 99% of people. If you’re having trouble connecting to a community server, you’ll need to wait for them to restart their server. For the few who are having trouble connecting to the official servers we are looking into this issue, however it appears to only affect a very small portion of users. It is recommended you apply any pending steam updates and try again. We will keep you posted with any new developments.
EDIT: This seems to be happening again to a bunch of users, we changed nothing so it has to be an issue with steam itself, or we’re authenticating users wrong. I have contacted the person responsible for maintaining this element of the game and they will look into it as soon as possible!