Hi guys, We have a patch for you all which addresses some serious issues and provides some clientside improvements, check it out :
- fixed airdrops – they will now spawn around noon daily!
- fixed foundations destroying immediately upon placement and other issues where things would decay too quickly
- fixed armor exploit where broken armor would not unequip if your inventory was full – you’ll just drop it now if it can’t fit
- fixed extreme shadow flickering in buildings
- fixed smoke signal not being influenced by lighting
- fixed the fade from black starting too late after respawn
- fixed the floating grass bug
- fixed the first command entered into the console not working on OSX
- tweaked tree billboard colors to better fit their mesh colors
- added more control over image effects using the gfx console convars
- gfx.ssaa true/false (enable/disable screen space anti-aliasing)
- gfx.grain true/false (enable/disable radiation grain effect)
- gfx.shafts true/false (enable/disable sun shafts)
- gfx.damage true/false (enable/disable damage indicators)
- added the console convar render.frames to limit the maximum fps to render
- made lower quality levels automatically disable some image effects for better performance
- added render.distance (0-1, default 0.2) to adjust the draw distance
- this is currently only affecting the static rocks
- enabled anisotropic filtering for terrain, road, rocks and building textures if quality level is above 50%
- improved cloud synchronization to reduce situations where clouds have to jump around
As you all know we’re working on some bigger features and we hope to have them complete soon. Stay tuned!
Just some minor changes we put up today :
- resources should maybe hopefully not kill you anymore while harvesting them
- wolves should actually scare other AI when they are chasing or attacking something
- last chunk of rock should be on the ground instead of hovering
- you can’t place shelters ontop of people anymore and lock them in
- you can’t build stuff on top of large spiked walls anymore
- you can’t build barricades on top of barricades anymore
- fixed a minor issue with spawning wildlife and resource nodes which could cause some console spam on the server
- AI figures out it can’t get to you much sooner and knows to retreat
- shelters decay is active for sure and they will disappear
- metal window bars are thinner and easier to shoot out of
- You can now set a passcode on a door and share it with other people – Hold E to set the passcode
- Once they’ve entered the passcode they can open and close the door until you change it.
- This also works on gates.
- In addition, you can set a door to be unlocked so anyone can use it without a passcode.
- Grass runs twice as fast as it used to
- Grass looks way better
- Grass shouldn’t flicker on ATI cards anymore (but let us know if it does)
- Grass has improved sound effects
Beds & Bags
- Sleeping bags now reset the use timers of all your other sleeping bags in a 100m radius. This prevents base “zerging”
- Beds were added! – These can only be placed inside a house with a roof and act like the old sleeping bags did
Other changes and fixes
- added vsync option
- rcon now receives msgid 4 containing all console output
- opening boxes no longer resets decay – old things should actually disappear now
- added hud indication so you know when you’re voice chatting
- fixed exploit where mouse sensitivity reduced weapon sway
- added a delay to repairing objects after they have been damaged
- metal structures now need metal to repair instead of wood
- fixed random headshot sound that would happen when shooting near the top of inanimate objects
- camp fire particles are no longer visible at long range (should help with performance)
- you can only repair something 5 seconds after it last took damage
- servers can now be added to favourites by clicking the star on the left
Atrium Carceri, the artist who made the initial music we had in the very very early alpha is a pretty cool guy. When we started selling rust we decided to remove his music because we hadn’t worked anything out with him. But recently we talked to him and he decided to make a few tracks inspired by rust as a demo. We’ve put them in game and will listen to the feedback, if you guys like it we will get him to do more! If you’re not a fan of music in games you can always turn it off in the options ( or press pageup )
We’ve got a patch for you that contains a tonne of fixes but also some new content for you to enjoy, check out the change list :
- fixed open door hack
- fixed noclipping
- added revolver – default blueprint
- removed 9mm pistol as a default blueprint
- added metal bars you can put in windows
quality slider has much more of a significant impact on performance (needs work, maybe tomorrow)
- disabled cursor hack for linux, which should hopefully fix crazy cursor issues.
- server -datadir is now used for config files. Server owners should move their cfg folder inside.
- -datadir default is now “serverdata/”. If not using -datadir previously, server owners should move their saves into the new folder.
- added server rcon, runs on queryport and uses the same protocol as source servers
- console now reports an error when command isn’t found
- console variables now show their values when typed into the console
- changing a console variable will now print the change
- ‘ban’ now accepts a second optional argument, reason
- ‘banid’ now accepts <username> <argument>
- ‘status’ now shows the connected players
- ‘banlist’ shows all banned users
- ‘banlistex’ shows all banned users, with names and reasons
- ‘removeid’ unbans a user by steamid
- ‘say’ allows the server admin to talk to all connected clients
- research kit no longer requires paper
- research kit has a random amount of uses (1-3)
- shelters now use a single mesh instead of compound colliders
- made explosives require metal to craft
- improved pipe shotgun sound
- lowered shadow distance to a realistic level, should help with jittery shadows
- weapon sounds are slightly randomized so each shot isn’t identical to the last
- stopped looting through walls
- adjusted clock sycronization
- fix attempt to ghosting
- servers start up faster
- pipe shotgun now visibly ejects a shell on reload
- bolt action bullets are visible during reload
- fixed bug where respawning frequently could cause you to get stuck and have to reconnect due to invisible respawn screen.
- bruteforce rcon guessing is punished
Known issues :
- Laser sight and flashlight have incorrect angles on the Bolt Action Rifle, and the Revolver – Putting a silencer on the weapon in addition will solve this problem for now
In Addition we’re wiping all official servers to get rid of all the duped items now that we’ve fixed that issue
We’ve rolled out a few patches today but it’s mostly boring security related stuff. We’re aware of the exploits/hacks currently in the game and are working to resolve the issue. In addition there is a minor content patch that will appear on the dev servers tomorrow morning, and if all goes well, the live servers tomorrow evening.
Just a little note, if you only see one or two servers in your server browser it is likely because you opted into the developer branch. You may have done this during the auth issues a few weeks ago when the dev version was the only one that worked, and never bothered to opt back out. Sometimes when we roll out a patch on the developer branch the server/client become incompatible with older versions, thus we limit the servers visible to the ones that will work.
If you encounter this or you do not wish to participate in the dev beta, make sure rust is closed, and then simply right-click on rust in steam, go to properties -> betas tab -> “None – Opt out of all beta programs”
Happy New Year everyone!
We’re excited to get back to improving the game in the new year! And thanks to everyone for their patience throughout last week.
Also, a big thanks to MuchDifferent for assigning their engineers to help solve the problem(s) as quickly as possible.
See you all in-game!
It’s a new one, and we’re working on it again. More news as soon as it’s available.
Update 2: We’ve released a server and client update; Old clients will not be compatible with new servers, so make sure you’re updated on steam. It may take some time for the update to propagate through the community servers, however.
Hey all, we’re still working hard with MuchDifferent to solve the attack issues. We’re really sorry about the downtime and are working to have it resolved as soon as possible. We’re doing our best, and as usual we will post new information as soon as possible. Thanks for playing everyone.