As some of you may know a major ice storm hit my city and knocked out power and internet. Unfortunately I was unable to work due to this. After finally coming back into contact with the online world I have managed to restart the North American servers, I apologize for their downtime. We will also attempt to release a patch in the coming days addressing the bolt action rifle spawn rates and some other issues. I’ll post some more information when I get some more time.
That’s all for now, sorry again for the downtime and happy holidays!
Some users running windows 8.1 have had trouble entering the game. Some other users have found a fix that works for them : Right click on rust, go to properties, click ‘set launch options’ and enter : -force-d3d11
Some Mac users have reported being stuck on ‘loading’ after trying to join a game, Some other users have reported that setting the quality to lowest before joining will solve this issue. We are looking into this and will attempt to provide a fix as soon as possible.
We’ve identified the desync problem some users have reported and are working to fix it.
We’re going to be adding some internal elements that will make the quality slider have more of an impact on framerate by disabling post processing effects and draw distance. We’ll also be spending some time looking into some of the client-side stuttering on high population servers.
We’ve launched some more north american servers and are going to look into migrating the UK servers from their current host.
That’s all for now, We will provide another update as soon as we can.
Hello everyone, After a long outage related to the steam master servers, the issue has been solved and the official servers are up and running.
Here is a change log :
- Doors will no longer fly away
- You can’t stand inside doors and shoot out any longer
- Fixed Metal Doors not setting their rotation properly
- Shelters can be placed closer together than they used to be able to
- Resource nodes respawning should no longer cause server-wide lag
- Deployables placed on inside (new) shelters should no longer destroy when the shelter is destroyed
- Added some missing death effects for shelters and doors
- Should be easier to squeeze sleeping bags into shelters now
- Spike walls can be placed closer together, you can overlap them a little bit now to seal gaps easier
- You can now right click to rotate structures for the one guy without a mousewheel :D
- Servers can now specify a minimum amount of players for airdrops to occur – airdrop.min_players ( default 50 )
- Fixed shotguns not damaging deployables
- Fixed some serverside performance issues
- Fixed explosive charges not dealing direct damage to structure components – They will now deal their damage regardless of their position relative to what they are placed directly on
- Fixed explosions doing too much damage to things with compound colliders (shelters namely)
- Fixed weapon animations while aiming for some weapons (Shotgun)
- Fixed exploit allowing you to place deployables in mid-air
- Fixed being able to put wood boxes inside people/yourself
- You can place stuff on the road now
- Kevlar is harder to produce
- Made ammo much harder to craft
- Research kits are now one time use
- Increased headshot damage multiplier
- Added Bolt Action Rifle
- Weapons now play a dry fire sound when you try and fire them empty
- Added aim sway to some weapons, experimental
- Added a small ‘lazy aim’ cone for weapons
- Shotgun and bolt action rifle no longer stay aimed while actioning the weapon
- Small Stash is a default blueprint, and is easier to craft
- Spike wall returns more damage
- Spike wall has more melee armor
- New death screen (WIP)
Known Issues :
- Lasersight and Flashlight go off to the left on the Bolt Action Rifle unless a silencer is also added
- Death messages are weird and can tell you a bear killed you with a shotgun or something random like that
- Dry fire sound plays on last shot of pistol
- Nudity and Censoring will display as pants, it’s being worked on.
P.S. we had to wipe the servers, sorry fellas but that’s the way this works :(
Community servers may or may not be wiped but it’s recommended due to the research changes would make it impossible for new players to get started
It seems like steam is periodically rejecting some users and failing to authenticate them.
We’ve reset the official servers and this seems to have fixed the issue for 99% of people. If you’re having trouble connecting to a community server, you’ll need to wait for them to restart their server. For the few who are having trouble connecting to the official servers we are looking into this issue, however it appears to only affect a very small portion of users. It is recommended you apply any pending steam updates and try again. We will keep you posted with any new developments.
EDIT: This seems to be happening again to a bunch of users, we changed nothing so it has to be an issue with steam itself, or we’re authenticating users wrong. I have contacted the person responsible for maintaining this element of the game and they will look into it as soon as possible!
As some of you may have noticed, the servers with a population greater than 128 are experiencing periodic lag spikes. In addition there are some small client-side hiccups or spikes when entering new areas with lots of player made structures and deployables. We are hard at work looking into these issues and hope to provide some form resolution in the coming days. We will post more information on this front as soon as we can!
UPDATE: We’ve applied a small fix to the UK and US Central servers and will keep an eye on performance over the next little while
Valve are cool guys. They let us bring Rust to Steam. They don’t try to tell us what we can and can’t do in the game. They let us push unapproved updates out whenever we want, as many as we want. They saved PC gaming.
So it’s probably not totally unreasonable for them to ask that we don’t flood the rest of Steam with pictures of cavemen genitalia. I made a small change today. The censoring is on by default. This is purely to stem the huge wave of naked people being posted to Steam.
You can turn the censorship off in the console, but any screenshots you post publically to the Steam Hub will be deleted. Over the next few days I’m probably going to make it so that whether you have censoring on or off the screenshots posted to Steam will always be censored.
We’ve managed to roll out a few more official servers and they are being stress tested with your help.
A few issues have popped up relating to the net code that we are looking into and hope to fix immediately, From time to time you may experience what the community is calling ‘ghosting’ where you are unable to loot items and everyone else sees your player in one spot. For now you can just disconnect and reconnect to fix it until we solve the problem.
A little note :
Facepunch Official #1 (Dev) is now called Germany 1
Facepunch Official #2 is now called Germany 2
Thanks for playing! We will keep everyone informed as we make progress on these issues.
We’re in the process of setting up some additional Official servers, stay tuned!
I pushed a small update out this morning that fixes the player counts in the server list. Servers will need to be restarted before you’ll be able to join them.
Hey guys, Welcome to Early Access!
I just wanted to let everyone know that we are experiencing some issues with the server browser showing some servers with incorrect player counts ( even 0 ). If you’re trying to join a server and it kicks you back to the main menu, this is likely because the server is actually full.
You can verify this by pressing F1 to open the console and see what the last message was. If this happens, try and join another server instead.
We’re currently working on getting it to display the correct values and we will keep you posted with any new information as soon as possible.
Thanks for playing!